Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Simpson And Lawrence Anchorman 700

Everything I need to know about this anchor winch.

Manuals
Servicing

And it's all over...

Having stripped down and removed the winch from the boat, there were some obvious problems. The gear box leaked from both ends. The motor end was a problem because it was dripping oil into the v-berth. The other end was letting water, sand and salt into the internals - pretty clearly trashing the whole gearbox unit. Inspection of other parts revealed that some bearings needed replacing. The winch would probably keep going for another year if I kept it topped up with gearbox oil and was prepared to live with oily sheets (and I'm not!).

I got in contact with John at SL Spares who was most helpful. He could certainly supply the parts to Aus. In the end, though, it came down to cost. New parts plus delivery would cost about a third to half as much as a new winch. That replacement would certainly renew the winch. The motor, however, would remain and I am just not sure how much more life there is in it. I want a few years of trouble-free usage so I opted for the new one.

There will be a whole new post about that baby.

No comments: